Wednesday, February 22, 2012

President's Day-Lincoln writing activity

I came across the cutest idea from a freebie called President's Day Pack on teachers pay teachers from Amy Lemons at http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com/.  Check out her blog for this great idea where you can get the template.  I did this with my Kinder SDC kiddos with great success!  To accommodate for my students' needs, I made a different writing sheet for the middle of the hat that goes with our Step Up to Writing program.  Attached is the writing sheet I made in case you have younger students and would like to use it.  We watched the Lincoln video on BrainPop Jr. then read a book to learn all about Abraham Lincoln.  Then we used a flipchart on the smartboard with pictures of ideas to write about.  We say "topic, topic, topic, topic" while we trace the box for Abraham Lincoln with a green crayon.  Then we say "idea, idea, idea, idea" as we trace each box for the three ideas with a yellow crayon.  This project met a lot of areas in one: social studies, writing, and fine motor to name a few.  I have these hanging in my room--they look great!

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...