Thursday, May 10, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Wow... just shy of a month since our last post! We have been in the middle of our state testing and are getting ready for open house that's in two weeks. I honestly didn't think I would have any time to come up with a Mother's Day gift, but I managed to squeak by with this little thing. 


 

I really needed to make a Mother's Day gift that wasn't going to cost any money because I have already purchased way too much for open house! So, I had my students create a paper bag book for their moms using brown paper lunch bags, scrapbook paper, and other embellishments that I found around my house and classroom. Some of them turned out pretty cute and others are, well, creative to put it politely. 





 


I used three paper bags to make the books. I stacked them together making sure that the openings were all facing the same way. Then, I folded them in half and stapled. That's it! Inside each pocket the students will write something they love about their mom. My students brought a picture of themselves with their mom, which will go inside the last pocket. We added ribbon for little pull tabs. 





Students added pictures with their moms inside the pockets. 







I know most of you are super organized and probably finished your mother's day gifts weeks ago. Not me. My students will hopefully get these finished tomorrow in time to take them home! Anyway, if not for Mother's Day, you can also make paper bag books for other activities going on in your class. End of the school year memory book? Word book or alphabet book for younger grades? I was thinking they would be fun to use when teaching figurative language. The kids could write the definition of a simile on the page and then put examples of similes inside the pocket. Each page of the book could be a different example of figurative language. You could even turn these books into states of matter books in science and have examples of solids, liquids, and gasses inside each pocket! Fun! 

I wish you all a wonderful Mother's Day!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Kindergarten! Thanks for leaving a comment. We are in California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Irvine! I did my student teaching with IUSD. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From where can i buy paper shopping bags in cheap rates?? paper bags with handles

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...